Wednesday, September 9, 2015

It JUST got real.

My official Level-One CrossFit Trainer certificate arrived late last week. CHECK.IT.OUT.



My first official classes were tonight!  I am super appreciative of all the encouragement and comments from friends and our box members as I transition to this role to give Grant a break.  It felt odd to not be participating along side our members but since I was coaching my friends, it wasn't too scary! I have learned so much ever since the my level one class and I feel like each class I coach, I will GAIN a little bit more experience and confidence.  
I am excited to be starting a new class at our box for women only!! haha. I personally don't have any aversion to working out with guys (usually it makes me work harder to catch up with them) BUT I know a handful of ladies who would prefer to not have a guy see the face they make when they run or squat. It will be sort of an on-ramp class for ladies, looking to test the waters of CrossFit, using a lot of body weight and familiar fitness movements to start. Plus for our non-members, it will only be $5/class so it is VERY affordable =] I'll be making a Facebook event for this so if you are interested, let's be friends and I will add you! 
clearly I make interesting faces when I lift heavy weight and now the trainer in me sees how much I am turning my knees in during my back squat here, oh well!

Of course tonight Grant had planned push presses for our skill/strength. Ever since level one class, this lift has been my ARCH NEMESIS. Mostly because I thought I was doing it correctly and OH BABY was I wrong. So I had a good time reviewing videos on youtube and practicing before classes started. For you CrossFit savvy people out there, I have a hard time keeping the bar in a straight plane aka moving my face out of the way for the bar to pass straight up verses rounding it around my head. My hip extension sucks too but that is something that takes ALOT of time to develop and work on. Here is the push press if you have no idea what I am talking about

Of COURSE, Grant also programmed to have SNATCHES into the WOD. Thank goodness they were just power snatches (you don't have to go all the way down into the squat, less balance is required.)  These are tough movements to learn even without much weigh added to a barbell. It too me almost five months to feel like I could actually snatch correctly.  So needless to say, many of our members still struggle with this lift. It's actually one of my favorites now but teaching someone else is another story. Here short explanation of a power snatch
The WOD today was:
four rounds for time of....
  •  5 power snatches (115/85 lb prescribed...this was heavy for me, I did 75 lb and struggled!!)

  • 12 BOX OVER BURPEES.....this required you to do a burpee, jump on top of a box, jump off to the other side and repeat



everyone.hates.burpees.
the first few can be ok.....but they sure do catch up with you. 
if you don't believe me, watch this and imagine doing 12 of these times four

side note: if you take a look at the first picture of my certificate, you might notice a reddish scar on my left shin....imagine not landing squarely on the box and instead your shin landing on the corner...that scar is from JANUARY. So TRUST ME if you start to get tired, the best plan is to just do step up's onto the box verses jumping #shortpeopleprobs 

Well that's all for now! The adventures of Jillian coaching CrossFit shall return next Wednesday night for my next round of classes. I can't help but let THIS GUY have the last word





No comments:

Post a Comment